Sunday, May 20, 2012

Emotions of Graduation

It's that time of year again.  A week ago I attended college graduation for three of our young adults.  Friday night I conducted a graduation for one of our high school students who has completed the requirements for his diploma through homeschool.  Tonight I will conduct our kindergarten graduation at Fellowship Baptist Academy and next Sunday night will be high school commencement at FBA.  It is a very exciting time.  It is also a very emotional time.

By nature I am a very emotional person.  Tears come easily for me.  I will predict that I will weep at next Sunday's graduation.  That is a safe prediction as I have wept at each of our graduations over the past fifteen years.  Although I am very happy for our young people, there are some aspects of graduation that move me to tears.  Let me explain by giving you a few questions that I oftentimes ask myself at this time of the year.

1.  Did I do my best to prepare these young people for life?

That is a question that haunts me at this time every year.  In some cases, these young people have been in our church and school for thirteen plus years.  The burden that I feel to equip them is enormous.  Prayers have been prayed, buildings have been refurbished, teachers have been hired, lessons have been taught and sermons have been preached all for the benefit of these kids.  I really do try to do my best, but when that last graduation ceremony arrives I often wonder, could I  have done more?

2.  Will these young people receive what they have been given?

Although I  diligently seek to equip these young people, the choice is ultimately theirs.  Will they receive what they've been given or will they reject it?  The principles and truths that have been handed to them, will they carry them into life or will they leave them at the door whenever they exit?  One of my greatest fears is that these graduates will join some who have gone before them, ignoring the truths that have been handed to them.  Their attitude oftentimes seems to be, "That's fine for my preacher and my parents, but it's not for me."

3.  Can these young adults survive on their own?

When a student enrolls at Fellowship Baptist Academy they agree to be faithful to the house of God.  They sign an agreement to follow school rules.  As long as they are in school, I have some control in their lives.  I can correct them when they're wrong and I can bring them back when they stray.  Once they graduate, the "strings" have been severed and these young adults are somewhat on their own.  Will they make it?  Will they follow the Lord?  Will they do something worthwhile with their lives?  Those are questions that cause me to become very emotional on graduation night.

Life is all about transitions.  One of those transitions is allowing our "kids" to become independent young adults.    As we enter into that period of transition this spring, let's ask God to give us the grace that is needed.  Let's also ask Him to empower the young adults whom we are sending out into life.  It's not easy, but it's the right thing to do.


1 comment:

  1. Great post. Good reminder to stop and evaluate along the way as my children grow. - Renee Parris

    ReplyDelete